Monday, November 17, 2008

Track benchmark

One nice thing about that start of Number One Son's club soccer season is that his team trains one evening a week at the High Point Athletic Complex. HPAC has a decent track, and since I have to hang around for almost two hours, it's nice to have a lighted place to work out.

Warmup: 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 pushups, 400m jog. 3 x 50m strides.

WOD: 2 Miles the Hard Way
(Rest intervals are the same as the run time)

1 mile run - 8:05
800m run - 4:01
400m run - 1:50
400m run - 1:27 (Level II Benchmark)

Thoughts: My original intention was to do this as "5K the Hard Way" with 2 800s and 4 400s. Son's practice was cut short by a flag football tournament, so I shortened it to 2 miles. Still, this was better than I expected. My 800 was slower than I wanted, but still on pace with the mile time (which is the fastest I've run a mile in a long time). I was pretty sure I could get the Level II benchmark (1:34) on a 400, so I busted a gut on that last run trying to get there.

I can't really claim any of these as PRs, since I was a pretty decent runner in my younger days (best mile ever was somewhere around 6:00), but they're the best times I've run in quite a while.

No comments: