Friday, November 21, 2008

DOMS, DOMS, OMG, DOMS....

DOMS in my quads and DOMS in my delts. Delts I can understand - I fired them pretty hard during push jerks yesterday. I'm not so sure about my quads. I'm hoping they're sore from hanging leg raises and planks, because if they're this sore from back squats, I may need to have another hard look at my form. Usually my ass and hamstrings are fried after back squats. My quads may be tired, but they're not usually sore.

Anyway, the sore quads made my CFE running WOD very interesting this evening.

Warmup: Shoulder and hip rotations; 3 rounds of 10 squats, 5 pullups, 400m jog, 20 mountain climbers, 10 pushups

WOD: CFE Running - 15 Minutes the Hard Way

5:00 on/5:00 off
4:00 on/4:00 off
3:00 on/3:00 off
2:00 on/2:00 off
1:00 on/1:00 off

Total distance - ~2.25 miles (based on MapMyRun.com)
Edit - the distance includes RIs, which I walked. Thanks, Rebecca!


Thoughts: The weather was chilly tonight, but not overly so - probably in the low 40s. Good running weather. My quads (have I mentioned they're sore) didn't really loosen up until I started the 4:00 on, so I probably could have kicked in a little more distance with a better warmup. Son's practice tonight was at Wesleyan rather than HPAC, so I ran around the soccer and baseball fields. The baseball field was in poor shape, and I really had to watch my step to keep from turning an ankle.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

... Low 40's is good running weather?! Ack! That's freakin' COLD! Your warmup looks pretty thorough, but I guess if it was all done outside, in the BRRR cold!, then it may have been insufficient.

Did you walk in the "off" time, and is that included in your mileage?

Jenn said...

Good running weather when you're wearing long sleeves, running pants, gloves and a fleece vest. :D

I did walk during the off time - should have included that in the log...

Melissa Urban said...

Hanging leg raises are hard on the quads, as is plank. Maintaining that much tension can lead to cramps in weird places - when I do handstand holds, my quads ALWAYS cramp.

Nice work on the running today!

Jenn said...

Melissa, I've started incorporating the hollow holds into my cash-out - hopefully they will help with it. Handstand holds without support are still a ways away for me.