Sunday, November 30, 2008

Deadlifts and push presses....and a new benchmark

Having recovered sufficiently from brunch earlier, I decided I needed to drag myself to the Y. It's been a cruddy day, rainy and in the mid-30's, the kind of day that begs to be spent curled up inside with a good book. Fortunately, the kids started arguing over something and that gave me the little boost I needed to get out of the house. :P

It was a good day to be at the Y - not too crowded, occupied mainly by treadmill denizens. I was able to monopolize all the equipment that I needed.

Warmup: 2 rounds CFWU, easy 500m row.

Buy-in: 500m row for time - 1:59 (Level II benchmark)
I knew I was due for this soon. I still had some gas in the tank at the end, so I know I'm capable of a faster time.

WOD: Strength - Deadlifts and Push Presses

Deadlifts 5 x 3
  • Warmup sets @ 65#, 95#
  • 3 @ 135#
  • 3 @ 155#
  • 3 @ 155#
  • 3 @ 155#
  • 3 @ 135#
Push presses 3 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#, 55#
  • 5 @ 65#
  • 5 @ 75# (PR)
  • 5 @ 80# (PR)
Thoughts: Deadlifts were okay. I wasn't as aggressive as I needed to be with them. 155 matches my previous PR for 3 reps, but I could feel my back starting to round on the last couple of reps at that weight. That makes me nervous, so I backed down to 135 for the last set. I think I need to back off the DL weight until I'm sure I have my form issues worked out. And maybe I need to get Lil John back on my iPod for DLs!

Push presses were much better! For some reasons, I had the aggression on these that was lacking in my DLs. My previous PR was 65#, so I'm pleased with this improvement. On a musical note, "Hands Up" by the Black-Eyed Peas is great song for presses of any type.

Cash-out: Core work - 2 rounds
  • 10 x Floor Wipers (45#)
  • 10 x KTE (toes to bar)
  • 20 x incline situps
Pushups (max reps) - 30

Some good news - I am slowly beginning to bring Hubby around to the idea of doing CrossFit with me. He has been resistent - not just to CF, but to getting back into an exercise routine in general, but today he suggested that it might be a good idea for us to get a pull-up bar and some other home equipment. I'm hoping that I can turn this small opening into a New Year's resolution.

No comments: