Friday, November 21, 2008

Programming...or lack thereof

I see references to programming all over the CF discussion boards - Gant's Hybrids, Starting Strength, heavy metcons, long metcons, yadda yadda yadda. So what should I think about the fact that I have no programming concept?

The main problem I have with consistent programming (WARNING - the excuse wagon is getting ready to roll) is my inconsistent schedule. Lunch time is hit or miss depending on what's going on. Sometimes I lifeguard four mornings a week, sometimes 2, sometimes none. Evenings generally involve kids' sports practices, and that is the time I'm most likely to get a workout done. Weekends, of course, are filled with kids' games, laundry, grocery shopping, (reluctant)housekeeping and the other myriad things that don't get done during the week.

This doesn't bother me a whole lot. One of the things I love about Crossfit is the apparent randomness of it all. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, so it fits me perfectly. I'm never sure what's going to pop up on the main site on any given day, and if I don't like it, I pick something else. But I know there is an underlying method to the madness, and I wonder sometimes if I am shortchanging myself somehow.

The vague concept I'm toying with now is the standard 3 day on/one day off cycle, with a day each dedicated to strength, metcon and endurance. This, of course, assumes that I can even manage to get 3 days in a row to work out. It's been hit and miss on that.

Any input is appreciated.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I guess I would say that you're only shortchanging yourself if you have a specific goal that you want to achieve.

With a schedule as hectic as yours, it's great that you can work out as often as you do.

You may not see gains in strength and skill as quickly as you'd like, but they'll come as long as you're getting in a couple workouts a week.