Monday, January 5, 2009

Ready for my closeup...?

Finally got a chance to get some video at the Y. Not really the day I would have chosen if I'd thought about it in advance - I'd rather have some video of my back squat or deadlift - but the opportunity presented itself, so I took it. It was either that or listen to KAD whine endlessly about wanting to go home. KAD is the videographer, so you'll hear her commentary as well as watch her try to get the hang of taking the video.

Buy-in: 2 rounds
10 OHS w/dowel
10 incline situps
10 back extensions
5 pullups

WOD: Front squats and presses

Front squat 5x5
  • Warmup sets @45#/55#/65#
  • 4x5@75#
  • 1x5@80#
Front Squat @ 75#





Front Squat @ 80#




Presses 3x5
  • Warmup set @45#
  • 3 x 5 @ 55#
  • 2 @ 70# (yeah PR!)
Press @ 70#




Thoughts: Warmup was rushed, primarily because the Y was so crowded (damn New Year's resolution people!). I jumped on the squat rack as soon as it became available, and I wasn't as loose as I would have liked. Pulled the 75# start weight for the squat out of my fourth point of contact, as I really wasn't sure where I was on it. Then KAD came in, tired from swim practice, so I put her to work with my cell phone camera to keep her from whining. Any tips on form are gratefully received.

After the 55# presses, I felt like I had some juice left, so I slapped another 15# on the bar and went for a new PR. Got it over my head not once, but twice (although the second one was shaky, as you can see in the video). So I was able to leave feeling at least mildly accomplished.

Cash out: 2 rounds
5 kipping pullups
5 Renegade Man-Makers w/15# DBs (Thanks, Melissa!)
Time: 3:57

RMMs were a bad idea - elbow started hurting on the renegade rows.

No comments: