Sunday, January 25, 2009

Always read the instructions first.

My new copy of Starting Strength arrived in the mail on Wednesday. Since that was my scheduled rest day, I started thumbing through it immediately. After reading some about the basic lifts (squat, DL and press), I wanted to kick myself for not getting this book sooner. Especially since I probably could have spared myself this whole elbow ordeal if I had done so.

Even though my squat and DL seem to be basically solid, I'm learning a tremendous amount about the details, like hand position on the bar during back squats. The fact I'm allowed to use a rack (or other available means) to elevate the bar to mid-shin to start a DL if I'm not using standard size plates (that explains why lifting 135# is easier than 130# - the bar starts in a better position). And the engineering geek in me loves the explanations about angles, torque and force applications.

So while I'm not looking at a complete reset at this point, I may start backing off the weights a bit to dial in my form. I'm also going very light on the upper body work to see if I can get the damn elbow to heal (I know, I know, I need to get it looked at). My copy of Starting Strength is likely to get dog-eared in a hurry.

WOD Thursday, 22 January 09:

Buy-in: 3 rounds of
10 MB squats (5kg)
10 incline situps
10 hip/back extensions
Back squats: 10 @ 45#, 5 @ 55#

WOD: Deadlifts 3x5
  • Warmup sets @ 65#, 95#, 115#
  • Work sets - 3 x 5 @ 135#
Thoughts: Set grip. Lower hips. Back flat. Eyes forward and down. Keep the bar close to the legs and drive through the heels. Damn, I really need to get video on this to make sure I'm doing it right. Whoa, that came up nicely, I need to elevate the bar on my lighter weights. Repeat. Wonder why people are staring at me. Oh, well. This is cool.

Cash out: 400m sprints treadmill, speed set at 6:30 pace (thanks, Jay!). Only did two before Son called and said that his practice had finished early and could I please come get him RIGHT NOW. Sigh.


I took Friday and Saturday off, as I was feeling a little run down. Back at it today sometime. Probably after laundry.

2 comments:

Ev said...

Congrats on the book! Yeay! Dog eared translates to well loved and valuable in book language. LOL.
re: form, lots of good videos online.
You shoulda told Son to sprint over to your gym and wait while you finished out your sets 3-5. LOL.

Jenn said...

LOL, I might have told him that if the gym wasn't about 4 miles away from the field. That's a little much to tack on after a 90 minute soccer practice, even for a 16 year old. ;)