Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Back squats and Tabatas

Between work, kids and apathy, I haven't had a chance to update. I've also spent more time reading about strength training than actually doing it. If I could have a do-over, I'd read Starting Strength and watch as many training videos as possible before starting out.

But I don't get a do-over, so I'll keep reading and adjusting and tweaking and thinking about prying open my wallet to get some coaching.

Sunday, 25 January 09

Buy-in: 3 rounds of 10 air squats; 10 4-count flutter kicks; 10 supermans

WOD: Back squats and rack pulls

Back squats 5x5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#, 65#, 95#
  • 5 @ 115#
  • 5 @ 115#
  • 5 @ 115#
  • 5 @ 115# (last rep was iffy on depth)
  • 5 @ 115# (last two reps definitely not full depth)
When I got started on these, my mind was spinning from all the things I was trying to remember about the back squats. My first set was all over the place form-wise because instead of using cues, I was trying to keep everything in mind - bar position, hand position, stance width, knee break, hips back, ad nauseum. So I went back to the book (yes, I had it in my gym bag), did a quick review and came up with a sequence of mental cues that seem to work for me. Back tight. Chest up. Push your butt back. Keep your knees out. Chest up and push your butt up.

Rack pulls 3x5
  • Warmup sets @ 65#, 95#, 115#
  • 5 @ 135#
  • 5 @ 135#
  • 5 @ 135#
The main reason I threw these is in is that I just wanted to do something else along with the back squats, and DL work, oddly enough, doesn't really bother my elbow. I experimented with various grips, and found that the alternating grip seems to work best for me. According to Rip, most people end up with their non-dominant hand in the supinated position. So of course, I end up being most comfortable with my right (dominant) hand in the supinated position. Go figure. Also, I discovered that I cannot use a hook grip. At all. Either I'm doing something wrong, or I just need to build my grip.

Cash out: 3x10 hanging leg lifts
3x10 hip/back extensions

PS - After experimenting with several different types of music during the last few weeks, I've found that classical/orchestral music helps me focus better. Actually, I'm not sure that Apocalyptica playing Metallica and Pantera really counts as classical, but I love it for lifting.

Monday, 26 January 09

Buy-in: 3 rounds of 15 squats; 15 situps; 20 walking lunges; 15 back extensions

WOD: Tabata Mash-up
For twenty seconds do as many reps of the assigned exercise as you can - then rest 10 seconds. Repeat this seven more times for a total of 8 intervals, 4 minutes total exercise. The score is the least number of reps for any of the eight intervals.

KB swings (25#) - 10/10/10/10/10/10/11/11 Total - 82
Situps - 17/18/18/18/18/19/19/18 Total - 145*
Squats - 18/18/18/19/18/19/18/18 Total - 146*
Rope skips - 26/30/35/36/35/36/36/40 Total - 268

Score - 71
Total - 641

*Interrupted by the phone.

Thoughts: Tabatas don't seem to wind me the way they used to. Now it's just muscle failure. :p I have a nasty case of DOMS in my calves today from the rope skips.

Cash out: None - had to cook dinner and deal with squabbling kids.

2 comments:

Melissa Urban said...

I have my copy of SS on my bedside table, and I review the squat, DL and press chapter the night before EVERY single heavy lifting session. (Not the squat chapter any more, since I'm high-barring now, but still...) Every time I read it, I pick up something new. I love that you brought it with you to the gym!!!

Unknown said...

SS is a great book, its a great program to combine with metcons.