Friday, January 2, 2009

I Yam What I Yam

When I started Crossfit in general, and began working on strength in particular, I had several ideas about how I might look. I'll admit to checking out my guns in the bathroom mirror on numerous occasions (okay, daily), but after today's workout, I'm wondering if my arms will end up looking like this:




Seriously. Today's WOD, which I grabbed from the main page, was an effin' grip killer.

Buy-in: 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 situps, 10 pushups, 10 supermans
5:00 rowing (1055m)

WOD: AMRAP in 20 minutes
55 pound Thruster, 5 reps
55 pound Hang Powercleans, 7 reps
55 pound Sumo Deadlift High-pull, 10 reps

Total: 5 rounds + 5 thrusters + 7 HPCs

Thoughts: Holy shit. After I finished this, I just lay down right where I was. My first genuine sweat angel. I musta laid there 5 minutes or more just sucking wind. When I reached for my water bottle, it slipped right out of my hand. Yep, my grip was so fried that I couldn't hold my flippin' water bottle.

Cash out: 10 half-hearted ab ball crunches. I had nothin' left.


Okay, it's been about 5 hours since I worked out and my right elbow is killing me. Hope I haven't screwed it up.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

That looks ... brutal! ... Though I think it would be my hips and hams that would be fried more than my grip ... though tat might eat it, too.

Great Job! Hope your elbow is just complaining and not really injured!

Jenn said...

Hope my elbow is just complaining too, but it's on its second day of whining and I'm starting to get tired of it. :p

Ev said...

Hope your elbow gets better soon. Maybe back off on pulling exercises for a bit and let it recoup? Your wod consisted of three pulling exercises so no surprise your grip was shot and your forearms were pumped. As for your forearms, climbers get what are affectionately called boner arms. You'll be happy to hear that climbers do not typically have Popeye arms, even the really good ones.

Ev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.