Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Not all who wander are lost...just some of us.

Since I started logging my workouts here at Blogger, I've gotten kind of lax at keeping up with what's going on at the CF discussion board. I go to the boards, click on the User CP and catch up on my favorite threads, which are mostly workout logs for various CF'ers I keep up with. Veronica Davis, Matt Bahen, Christin Street and Camille Lore are just a few of them, and they all bring different ideas to the table as well as being great all-around folks.

But I've gotten out of the habit of wandering around the boards just checking out interesting threads. So I missed this heavy metcon thread, even after it was made sticky. Well, today in my desperation to find a heavy metcon that wouldn't destroy my slowly-healing elbow, I finally stumbled across it. A big thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou to all you creative heavy metcon-loving CF'ers!

Buy-in: 3 rounds:
15 OHS w/dowel
10 back extensions
10 presses w/dowel
Deadlift 10 @ 65#

WOD: For time 21-15-9
Deadlift 95#
Thrusters 45#

Time: 7:35

Thoughts: This kicked my butt. The DLs weren't bad, but the thrusters destroyed me. I didn't get through any of the sets without a break, although I did take my rest with the bar in the rack position. This is exactly the kind of metcon I was looking for - short and brutal.

Cash out: 25 incline situps w/10# plate
20 medicine ball twists (20# ball)
10 medicine ball rolls
:30 hollow hold

Also had my first RL conversation with a fellow CF'er. There are a few of us at the Y, but the was first opportunity I had to chat at length. Dave does a lot of his CF at Fort Bragg, where there is a lot of Crossfit going on, plus he's also been to Crossfit 24/7 (one of the Winston-Salem affiliates). He told me that CF 24/7 is "a nice little gym," but with the exception of bumper plates, he had everything he needed for CF right there at the Y. That was nice to hear, as it somewhat validates my laziness in getting to one of the local affiliates.

Back to wandering the wilds of the CF message boards. Who knows what little gems I'll find this time?

5 comments:

Daniel said...

I wander the CF board more and more rarely these days, as the "gems" are quite rare in a mountain of polished turds...

Not really the boards' fault. It's the price of internet popularity.

Jenn said...

LMAO...so true.

Unfortunately, every community has its share of assholes, and some of them tend to dominate all the conversation. Come to think of it, that's why I ended up sticking mainly to the workout logs of the folks that I'm following.

Ev said...

OMG, that is so quotable, Daniel!
I love this:
This is exactly the kind of metcon I was looking for - short and brutal.
Rawk it, Jenn!

Unknown said...

I stick mainly to the logs on the board and thats all. I don't want to get involved in personal battles, politics or debates there at all.

Too many people do it and you can tell by their post counts. :D

Jenn said...

Too many people do it and you can tell by their post counts. :D

Yeah, no kidding. Best line I've seen over there in a while:

"High post count is not indicative of a user's knowledge."

I think Camille Lore said that.