Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sprints make me hurt




When it comes to generating DOMS, nothing seems to work better than sprints. No matter how short or how few, the act of running sprints makes me sore like nothing else.

This morning's WOD was an extremely scaled-down version of a workout that Number One Son's soccer coach has them do during off-season conditioning. It is called the SPX Sprint series. As Rx'd, it looks like this:

20 x 20 yds @ :15 RI
18 x 40 yds @ :20 RI
16 x 60 yds @ :30 RI
14 x 80 yds @ :45 RI
10 x 120 yds @ 1:00 RI
2:00 rest between sets

Normally I'll do this as "SPX Lite," which is the same distances but only half the reps. But because Hubby didn't think he could even do half, we did what I will call "SPX Featherweight."

Buy-in: Bike ride to the Y, ~1 mile
800 meters of jogging

WOD: "SPX Featherweight"

10 x 10 yds @ :10 RI
8 x 20 yds @ :20 RI
6 x 30 yds @ :30 RI
4 x 40 yds @ 40 RI

Cash out: Bike ride home ~ 1 mile

I figured Hubby would smoke me - he was a sprinter in high school, one of the top-ranked 100m runners in the state. But by the time we got to the 40s, I was running him down in the last 5-10 yards of the sprint. I know he's gonna feel it bad tomorrow, at least in his legs. Today, I think he's just feeling it in his ego. Hopefully this will spur him to keep working to get back in shape.

And yeah, I have DOMS. My quads and hip flexors are saying very unkind things to me right now. I suspect they'll be even more vocal tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Ev said...

Re: DOMS-take fish oil capsules! They're awesome.

As for how you got the DOMS: Yeah, baby!!!

VicLady said...

I agree with you. Sprints are no fun.