Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MB's Freaky Bendy Stuff

Okay, it took me an extra day, but I did do Melissa Byers' Freaky Bendy WOD tonight. Number One Son had soccer practice at the High Point Athletic Complex. Usually I take advantage of the track there to get in a good running/sprinting workout, but I finally noticed that the elementary school next to the complex has a playground right next to the track. I had to jump the fence to get to it, but it has everything I needed for this WOD. Well, except for rings.

Buy-in: 10 x downward dog to cobra pose

WOD: Freaky bendy stuff
  • 25 dead hang pull-ups (5 of them weighted) - did kips
  • 25 ring dips - did assisted bar dips
  • 5 skin-the-cats
  • 5 handstand holds (max time) - :38, :33, :36, :33, :37
  • 5 L-sit holds (max time) - :16, :20, :17, :15, :15
Since my deadhang pullups are better than my kips, I decided to take the opportunity to work my kip. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it, but I forgot to bring my camera, so no video for Jason, dammit. I threw 6 - 8 deadhangs in just for grins, but mostly did the pullups 3 - 4 kips at a time. For some reason, the kips wear my arms out faster than the deadhangs.

No rings, so I did 25 bar dips with an assist. The bars were not very high off the ground and I just kept my knees bent and toes on the ground to take some of the weight off my arms and shoulders. Dips have always made me a little nervous because of previous shoulder problems.

Skin the cats are just fun. I didn't get as far over as the guy in the video - I think my butt was at a level between my elbows and my shoulders - but it's still a great upper body movement.



Handstand holds were done with my toes hooked over one of the playground horizontal bars. It was nice because it allowed it me to be almost perfectly vertical instead of leaning against a wall. My freestanding handstand hold is about .2 seconds. The limiting factor on assisted holds was how long I could stand all the blood rushing to my head, not how long my arms and shoulders could support me. :p

L-sits = suck. I had nothing left by the time I did these.

Cash out: Dislocates

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like how you used the playground equip to get a good workout. thats solid.

Ev said...

Are you kidding me? That's very strong work on L-sit practice, especially at the end of your workout. Come on!

Melissa Urban said...

I continue to be behind in your workouts, dammit. Nice job with this one! Those L-sits are tough work, especially at the end of a workout. In retrospect, that was mean. Ha.

Melissa