Wednesday, March 18, 2009

CrossFit Total

A lot of people carefully plan their workouts. I'm not one of them. I tend to go to the gym with a general idea of what I'd like to do, then pull something out of my butt when I get there. So I headed to the Y on Monday, thinking vaguely that I'd like to lift, but not sure which lifts I would do. To my surprise (and delight), the fitness room was almost empty, a beautiful unused row of power racks, bars and plates waiting just for me. At that point I thought, "CFT - I haven't done a CFT in a long time. I'll do that."

Monday 16 March 09

Buy-in: 2 rounds
10 goblet squats (25#)
10 back extensions
10 presses w/dowel

WOD: CrossFit Total (at a body weight of 127#)

Back squat - 145#
Press - 70#
Deadlift - 185#

CrossFit Total = 400

My last CFT was 365, back in October. Individual lifts then were 135# for the squat, 65# for the press, and 165# for the deadlift.

Maybe I'm not being realistic, but I was hoping for a little more improvement, especially on my back squat. I had two failed attempts at 150# - could not get to the depth necessary to make either one a counting rep. I didn't get any video, so I'm not sure if it was a form issue or just fatigue at that point.

I'm okay with the small improvement on the press. 70# matches my previous 1RM and given how little hard training I've done on this lift in the past couple of months, I'm just glad I didn't lose any ground. Had 2 failed attempts at 75# - got the bar level to my forehead but could not lock it out. An attempt at 72# might have been a better idea.

Deadlift. Well. Yes, it was a PR by 20#. But I can go heavier. I started too light and didn't get aggressive enough with my later pulls. I also started getting antsy about the time, because I had to go back to work. It was mentally distracting and subsequently I didn't take enough rest between attempts. I made two weak attempts at 195#, couldn't get it to break, and just fucking gave up. I'm pissed at myself now, because that 1.5BW deadlift is so close I can taste it.

Cash out: None - had to go back to work.

Okay, now I have a little better idea of where I am strength-wise. The question is "What now?" The weather is getting warmer and I'm itching to spend more time outside and do more running. I want to do a triathlon this summer. But I also want to be stronger and reach the strength goals that I've set. So do I try to continue a weird blend of SS and CF? Go back to the main page (as the elbow allows)? More CFE? Definitely need to get some input.


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Daniel's done most of the research on this so this is third hand - but I know that there's a thread on the national boards about CFSB - CrossFit Strength Bias. I haven't read it myself, so I can't say for sure, but it might be worth a read :-)

400 seems like a pretty awesome score to me ;-)

Ev said...

Nice work!