Sunday, March 1, 2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...


This is what is our driveway looks like right now. Not real exciting for those of you who live in the frozen North (defined as anywhere north of Virginia), but it's enough to send everyone around here scrambling to the store for bread, milk and eggs. Naturally, there is no school tomorrow. Hubby and I still have to work, though.

Just when we thought we might have the viruses under control, we had a massive outbreak in the central office. I anticipate more of the same this week, as I'm already getting emails from my school techs wanting to know when I'm going to come out and help them. I'd like to beat our head engineer around his head and shoulders, since he was the one who made the bone-headed decision to be cheap when it came to purchasing AV/malware protection.

Anyway, I did manage to get in a couple of WODs amidst the chaos last week.

Thursday 26 Feb 09:

Buy-in: 3 rounds
15 air squats
15 ab ball situps
10 supermans
10 KB deadlifts (25#)

WOD: 21-15-9
KB swings (25#)
Floor wipers (unweighted)
KB OHS

Time - 11:21 (5:05/3:54/2:21)

Note to self - unweighted floor wipers suck no less than the weighted kind, so you might as well use the weight. The OHS with the kettlebell was kind of an experiment. Obviously you can't use a wide grip with only one KB, so I held it with my upper body in what swimmers call the streamline position:



Trying to squat in this position is awkward at first, and it is a SERIOUS core burner to maintain the tight streamline. I may have my masters swimmers do this during their dryland workouts.

Cash out: None - had to take Son to soccer practice.


Saturday 28 Feb 09:

Buy-in: 3 rounds
15 air squats
15 incline situps
15 back extensions
10 dumbbell DLs (25#)

WOD: Strength day

Back squats 3 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#(2), 65#(2), 85#, 95#
  • Work sets 3 x 5 @ 105#
Felt pretty good on these, though I had to concentrate hard on keeping my knees shoved out and driving with my hips. Need to get more video for coaching purposes.

Deadlifts 3 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 95#, 115#, 125#
  • 5 @ 135#
  • 2 x 5 @ 140#
Because of my elbow, grip is the limiting factor on my DLs right now. I know I can go heavier, because the 140s seemed to just pop right up off the floor. My elbow is starting to feel better (the wrap with the pressure pads really helps), but I don't want to push it too hard just yet. I finally got smart and started leaving the bar in the rack while I load the plates - loading and unloading plates while a bar is on the floor sucks - so every set at a new weight starts with a rack pull and placing the bar on the floor.

Presses 3 x 5
  • Warmup set @ 45#
  • 3 x 5 @ 55#
Didn't try too much weight on these. Concentrated on form and seeing how the elbow would hold up.

Cash out: 10 deadhang pullups
I was afraid I had lost my pullup strength after not doing them for so long. Damn, those felt good!

I have DOMS in my entire posterior chain today, but it's the good kind - the kind that tells you that you've had a pretty damn good workout.

No comments: