Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bombs away!

A bit of a breakthrough on back squats tonight: I realized I had been "dropping" into the squat instead of controlling my descent, and I was too loose at the bottom. This allowed my knees to move forward and took away from my hip drive. In Rip's words, I was "dive-bombing" into the bottom of the movement.

Buy-in: 3 rounds
10 overhead lunges w/15# medicine ball
10 supermans
15 air squats
15 situps

My buy-ins seem to be getting a little monotonous - need to mix them up more.

WOD: Strength

Back squat 3 x 5

Warmup sets:
  • 2 x 5 @ 45#
  • 2 x 5 @ 65#
  • 1 x 5 @ 85#
Work sets:
  • 3 x 5 @ 105#
Concentrated on controlling my descent and keeping tight form. I sacrificed some depth, but not enough to keep the squats from qualifying as full ROM. Getting the form right (and safe) is much more important than being able to go ATG. Boy, could I feel the difference too - my glutes and hammies are whimpering already.

Presses 3 x 5

Warmup set: 1 x 5 @ 45#

Work sets: 3 x 5 @ 55#

Last reps of each set were a little shaky. Interestingly enough, the elbow twinges on the way down, but not on the way up.

Deadlifts 1 x 5

Warmup sets:
  • 1 x 5 @ 95#
  • 1 x 5 @ 115#
  • 1 x 3 @ 135#
Work set: 1 x 5 @ 150#

I know I can go heavier on DLs. But every time I start entertaining the thought, I have to remind myself to "TAKE IT EASY ON THE ELBOW or you'll be back at square one!"

Cash out: Rolling planks - 3 rounds, :30 each position for 6:00 total.
Shout-out to Patrick Haskell for this great idea.

On a musical note (hee), I've found that listening to Apocalyptica really helps me focus during the lifts. Harmeggedon and For Whom the Bell Tolls are awesome for squats and deadlifts.

No comments: