Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Back on the Wagon

After 10 days off, it felt good to get my blood moving again. There is something about being at my in-laws' that just really causes me to drag. Some of it is the cold weather and snow, which makes me want to stay curled up indoors. And there's something about my MIL's house that just makes me tired. I don't know if it's the temperature in the house (about 72) or what, but it really has a sedative effect on me. Even after 9-10 hours of sleep, I spent most of the days feeling like I'd been drugged. Maybe it was a combination of the heat and all the food I consumed. Number One Son felt it as well - he said "Being at Grandmother's makes me want to sleep all the time."

Anyway, it was great to get back home and start trying to get back into a routine.

Buy-in: Arm swings, shoulder dislocates, hip and knee rotations
5:00 rowing (1019m)

WOD: Strength work

Back squat 5 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#, 65#, 85#
  • 5 @ 95#
  • 5 @ 95#
  • 5 @ 105#
  • 5 @ 105#
  • 3 @ 105# fail Last two reps were not full depth
Push press 5 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#, 55#
  • 5 @ 65#
  • 5 @ 65#
  • 5 @ 70#
  • 5 @ 70#
  • 5 @ 70#
Thoughts: After the bar-dumping episode from my last squat workout, I thought it might be prudent to start a little lighter (95# vs 105#). It turned out to be a good idea - there's so much to concentrate on during the exercise. Chest up, knees out, lumbar curve, etc, etc. It's easy to tell which reps had everything working, because I just seemed to pop up out of the hole on those. By the last set, though, you could stick a fork in me. Fail for the last two reps.

I have no 1 RM for the push press (I know, I need to get one), so the 70# was a SWAG based on my 1 RM for the push jerk. It seemed to be about right, as the last few reps were quite ugly. I need to get KAD or Son to take some video of me - using my spiffy new camera - so I can get some feedback on these lifts. I know, I keep saying that...

Cash out: 3 rounds of:
5 pullups
15# DB snatches (10 ea arm)
10 pushups

Also got my first piece of unsolicited advice from a gym rat. He approached me in the middle of a set, while I had 105# of weight sitting on my upper back, and waved to get my attention (I was wearing headphones). I just glared at him and said, "Do you MIND?" He waited until I finished the set and re-racked the weight and the said, "You're going too deep on your squats. You're going to tear up your knees." I went off on him for interrupting my workout - it's the Y, so no F-bombs or other choice words, but I think I got my point across.

He said, "I was just trying to help. I don't like to see anyone get hurt." He then proceeded to load up the Smith machine with 6 plates across and do about 15 quarter squats.

Dude, where's your clue?



Options for tomorrow are looking slim. Y is on holiday hours and we have dinner with the folks right after work. Might be time to break out the awesome new KB.

1 comment:

Ev said...

Well, you're a woman. How could you possibly know anything about weight lifting? He was being a good samaritan. LOL. Glad you put him in his place. Next time you can tell him that the Kama Sutra says you can't be a decent lay without a deep squat and that clearly he's no catch.