Monday, December 15, 2008

Back to some strength...maybe

It occurs to me that it's been damn near a week since I last worked out. Last Wednesday I did about 4-5 hours worth of dragging a ladder around to various points in a building and climbing it (strangely enough, I will do that WOD again tomorrow, except this time I will drag the ladder around the outside of the building). That's very functional, as CrossFit is supposed to be, but not really much fun. Especially the part where insulation and ceiling tile shit rains down on your head.

Anyway, it looks like the whole "sneaking out at lunch" thing is going to be the only way I get in any workouts for a while. Christmas is really putting a crimp in my schedule. :p

Buy-in: 2 x 500m row (2:31/2:11); 1 round CFWU

WOD: Back squats 5 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#, 65#, 85#
  • 5 @ 105#
  • 5 @ 105#
  • 5 @ 105#
  • 4 @ 105# Couldn't get out of the hole on the last rep and had to dump the bar
  • 5 @ 95#
Bench Press 5 x 5
  • Warmup sets @ 45# and 65#
  • 5 @ 85#
  • 5 @ 85#
  • 5 @ 85#
  • 5 @ 85 #
  • 5 @ 85#
Cash out: 2 rounds of 10 hanging KTE, 15 back extensions.

Thoughts: I need to get going with Starting Strength. I got myself into the mindset that I was going to pile on more and more weight every time, and that's a recipe for injury even if my ego does enjoy the constant PRs. I believe I have form issues that I need to address. 105# is not even 80% of my 1 RM for back squats, but when I concentrated on proper depth and form, I went to failure fairly quickly. The 5th rep of each set was a real struggle to finish, and that's the first time I've had to dump the bar. That got me some unkind looks from the training staff even though I was in the rack. Warming up with the rowing was probably a dumb idea, because it made my legs a little tired even though I felt really loose. My strength training needs some sort of structure, although I hate to give up too much CFE and metcon work.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't know whether you read Melissa's post today, but it addresses this same issue.

The long and the shot of it, is that aerobic conditioning - the CFE stuff - is easy come, easy go - but once you gain strength, it persists.

So even though you will loose some metcon ability while focusing on a strength cycle, you will gain strength more quickly by focusing mainly on strength, and the metcon ability will come back when you start focusing on it again - but you'll be stronger, too!

But go read Melissa's post if you haven't already - she says it better and more entertainingly than I can ;-)

Melissa Urban said...

Yes, yes, yes... although Rebecca, you said it pretty well yourself. I hit on it again today, with some great quotes from Jason Struck. Jenn, if you want me to send you the program Max, Gant and I came up with, send me an email. (My email addy is on my blog, on the right sidebar.) It's structured, it's strength focused AND you still get to do some CrossFit stuff. I'm really excited about it.