Thursday, April 9, 2009

Running on empty

One of the things that I find difficult is figuring out how much to eat pre-workout, as well as the timing of the pre-workout meal. If I could get my ass out of bed and work out in the morning, this wouldn't be an issue - the pre-workout meal would be whatever was consumed before bedtime the previous evening. So much of what I eat pre-workout is dependent on what I will actually be doing. If I'm lifting, a piece of fruit or a little yogurt an hour or so before is fine. For a metcon - especially a heavy metcon - I haven't figured it out yet. I've met Pukie once during a metcon and he's peeked his head in the door during others on numerous occasions.

But running is the worst. I know from years of running that I really can't put anything (other than cold water) in my stomach within 3-4 hours of a run. To do so invites nausea, cramps, side stitches and general misery. But by the end of most of my runs, I feel like I have no gas in the tank.

Now, that didn't happen during yesterday's 5K - I was really cooking by the end of the run. But my fuel in that case came from an entirely different source, which I will elaborate on in a bit.

WOD 8 April 09:

Buy-in: 2 rounds Official Crossfit Warmup (no pullups, bench dips)

WOD: Run 5K

Time - 28:16

Did the run in a 5:00 on/1:00 off pattern, walking during the "rest" period.

I negative-split this run - out in 14:30, back in 13:46. Not really unusual, except that the 13:46 split included at least 2 - 3 minutes of total stoppage. Why? Because that's how long it took me to get my wits back together and start running again after almost being hit by a truck. The last mile of my run was fueled completely by adrenaline.

Cash out: None. Too freaked out and also had to go pick up KAD.

I live in a fairly typical suburban area - you know, the sprawling kind where growth and development outpaced any type of reasonable plan for it. Sidewalks are few and far between, and speed limits on most of the roads around my house are 35 or 45 mph. My 5K route takes me along a where the speed limit is 45 and the shoulder almost non-existent in spots. I was going around a curve, running in the grass about 3 feet off the road, when a pickup came flying around the curve. The driver was talking on his phone and not paying a bit of attention, his front wheel in the grass. I had to jump out of his way and I swear I felt his bumper brush my T-shirt. He didn't even slow down...completely oblivious. If he had hit me, I suspect he wouldn't even have stopped.

5 comments:

Patrick Haskell said...

Holy shit, Jenn. Glad you've been practicing your gymnastics and explosive lifts, instead of just slogging through the miles, so you could so deftly get out of the way. Glad you're alright.

John said...

!!I used to always wonder if I'd be able to react as "deftly" as you were able to in exactly the same type of situation, glad you were able to pull it off!!

Love your blog.

JB

Ev said...

Glad you're okay. Phew!
Re: the pre wod meal, I used to have a terrible time eating pre-wod. I have gotten better with practice and can now eat a light meal of any kind right before a wod and be fine. However, my all time fave is a tablespoon (let's be honest...or two or three) of plain almond butter and maybe a nice swig of milk. Not so much that it makes me queasy, regardless of how huffy and puffy the wod is that day but enough that I don't gas out after about 20 minutes.

Ev said...

I forgot to ask: did you get my note about your friend Jennifer Fitch Bond?

Jenn said...

Yeah, that incident scared the shit out of me, and I've been leery about running along the roads since. But I have to run somewhere, so I'll get back out there.