Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Born to run...barefoot



I've been intrigued by the idea of barefoot running ever since last fall, when I read Adam Sternbergh's article "You Walk Wrong" in NY Magazine. I tried it a time or two last fall, but the weather quickly got too cold to do it on a regular basis. I put in the back of my mind and forgot about it until a few days ago, when I saw two more articles - in Popular Mechanics and the Daily Mail - about barefoot running and the problems with modern running shoes.

This past weekend, I was talking to the father of one of KAD's soccer teammates, who was concerned about his daughter's running stride. She's a tall lanky kid who runs with a very long heel-to-toe stride. Most soccer players run on their toes with small quick steps that allow them control the ball and turn with it quickly. I mentioned the articles to him and suggested that he try having her run barefoot. Then I ended up mentioning it to a couple of other parents and decided "Before I tell people more about this, I really need to try it myself."

So yesterday evening, I took advantage of the beautiful weather to run barefoot at the soccer park.

Tuesday 28 April 09:

Buy-in: Handstand and cartwheel practice. I discovered that I cannot kick up to a handstand without a wall, and that I can't do a decent cartwheel if I don't lead with my left hand.

WOD: 3 x 5:00 Running

3x5 min intervals w/2min recovery between rounds. Hold maximal distance possible on each of the 5 min rounds.
Foul if you get slower or lose distance on each round.
Foul = 2 min Isometric Squat hold.

Distances: ~2.4 laps/~2.5 laps/~2.5 laps

Because I only ran around one field, as opposed to the measured course at the park, I have no idea how far this is in meters. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say roughly 800m.

Cash out: Taking a page from DC's logbook:
3 rounds
20m bear crawl
20m crab walk
Forgot to time it....

Okay. I have come to the conclusion that "jogging" is a phenomenon created solely by the modern running shoe. You cannot "jog" - that is, move with that slow, shuffling gait in which the feet barely leave the ground - when you are barefoot. You must lift your legs and pick up your feet when you run barefoot. To do otherwise is painful, even on grass.

I felt like I was learning to run all over again. That's ridiculous, right? Running should be a natural motion, so why did I feel like I was starting from scratch? It took several minutes for me to settle into a comfortable rhythm, which entailed lifting my knees and taking smaller, quicker steps. Which, of course, is a little more strenuous than my normal gait and made me tire faster. Also, you (obviously) have to pay attention to where you step, lest your unsuspecting foot come down onto a burr, rock or some kind of organic land mine.

I don't mean to leave the impression that this was a bad experience. On the contrary, it was quite exhilarating. I have some DOMs in my calves and feet, which was to be expected since those muscles don't get used like that very often. But I will definitely be doing more barefoot running, especially as the weather gets warmer. It will probably be confined to grassy areas while my feet build up a tolerance, and I honestly don't ever see myself running barefoot on roads or trails. A good pair of Nike Frees may be my next equipment purchase. Until then, my old Sambas or Rocketdogs will probably serve as my running shoes.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I've been trying to make the transition to POSE, and it's slow going. I have good, thin-soled shoes but when I run in them my ankles get very upset with me, and my calves get SORE. So I've been going back and forth - running in the Pumas until it's painful, then switching back to the mattress shoes for a while. The intervals with the Pumas are getting longer, which is heartening. My feet are just really, really weak.

Patrick Haskell said...

Awesome idea. I need to do some barefoot running this summer. My natural stride isn't too far off POSE - until I get tired, and then it reverts to classic bad jogger form. One thing for the foot strengthening that I do a few mornings each week:

- walk 25 feet on the outside of your feet;
- walk 25 feet on the inside;
- walk 25 feet pigeon-toed;
- walk 25 feet duck-footed;
- walk 25 feet forward on your heels;
- walk 25 feet backwards on your toes.

It's more an activation drill than an exercise, but that coupled with low-tech shoes or barefoot running make a good combination.

Jenn said...

Daniel - I hear you on the weak feet. Mine may not be too terribly weak because I spend a lot of time barefoot on pool decks, but they're awfully soft. It will take a while to build up the foot pads.

Patrick, thanks for the foot strengthening drills. I'll have to try those.