Thursday, February 11, 2010

Some pool time and barbell grip comparison

After a very long layoff (since last August), I got back in the pool and swam with the Masters team today. Boy, am I out of shape for swimming! Stroke is out of rhythm and my DPS (distance per stroke) has significantly decreased. If I want to hit Masters Nationals in May, I'm going to have to spend more time in the pool. Guess it's time for yet another rework of my programming.

Because I did swim today, I decided to forgo the metcon portion of my Deadlift + Metcon day.

AM - Swimming

Warm-up: 200 swim - 200 kick w/fins - 100 scull

Just 100 yards of sculling killed my forearms, but the "dog paddle" scull out front really helps with catch.

Drill: 6 x 75 @ :20 RI 50 1-arm free (switch arms after 25, breathe on non-work side), 25 redneck crawl

3 x 50 @ :10 RI Concentrate on SPL (avg 15 1st 25 and 17 2nd 25)

3 x 50 @ 2:00 Descend both time and #/strokes per 50

1 - :38/32
2 - :36/32
3 - :36/35

Sprinted on the last 50 and sacrificed DPS for turnover on the first 25. Gotta work on increasing turnover while holding DPS

Cool-down: easy 200

Total: 1450 yds

PM - Deadlifts

Buy-in: 5:00 rowing

WOD: Deadlifts 1 x 5

Warm-up sets: 1 x 8 x 45# (RDL)
1 x 5 x 95#
1 x 5 x 115#
1 x 5 x 135#
1 x 3 x 155#

Work set: 1 x 5 x 175#

Felt much stronger on these than I did last week at the same weight. No issues with grip this time, which makes me wonder if part of that issue has to do with the bars at the Robinhood Road branch. The 20-kg bars at RR are the satin chrome finish, and the grip/knurl are different from the bars at WF, which are the dark matte finish bars. The WF bars have a pretty sharp knurl, which is a bit uncomfortable but easier to hang onto.

Cash out: 5 KTEs; 2:00 Plank; 3 x handstand holds (:20/:19/:25)

2 comments:

Ev said...

I'm super impressed with your swimming. That form of exercise is no joke. I sink like a rock :)

Jenn said...

I highly recommend taking some lessons or getting some coaching. Swimming is a great way to get a hard workout without the pounding on your body and joints. I am trying to get back in the pool more.