Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Day - Squats and Presses

Hustled to the Y today - Sunday is the day that a couple of seriously big gym rats typically stake out the only two power racks in the fitness room and monopolize them for a couple of hours. Now, they're serious about their lifting and I don't begrudge them the racks, but I didn't have two hours to wait for one to be free (they're not big on letting other people work in). So I made sure I was the first person in line when the doors opened at noon.

I got my rack and unfortunately for the two gym rats, someone else got the other one before they got there. I was on the receiving end of a few dirty looks, even thought I offered to let them work in. I think the older one was just pissed that there was a woman using the power rack (I am generally one of the few women in that area of the gym).

Buy-in: Walking lunges, walking knee lifts, mountain climbers

WOD: Squats and Presses

Back squats 3 x 5:

Warm-up sets: 1 x 8 x 45#
1 x 8 x 65#
2 x 5 x 85#
1 x 5 x 105#

Work sets: 3 x 5 x 120#

Presses 3 x 5

Warm-up sets: 1 x 5 x 45#
1 x 5 x 55#

Work sets: 2 x 5 x 65#
Push press 1 x 5 x 65#

Squats felt great - I might have been able to do 125#. I think 120# may be the most I've ever done for reps. Actually, I'm a little suspicious - the last time squats felt this easy, my form was off and I was doing most of the work with my quads and not getting any hip drive. Time to take some more video.

Presses were pretty much a disaster. I struggled with the first two work sets, and my back felt a little twingy. So I punted - did the last set as push presses just so I could say I didn't give up completely.

Cash out: Running 3 x 4:00 on/2:00 off
Done on the indoor track; walked during the off periods.
Total distance: ~2 miles.

The indoor track is nominally 1/10 of a mile. However, one of the trainers told me last year that he had measured it with an engineer wheel and that a mile was actually 11 laps + 36 feet.

No comments: