Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I don't even play that sport...

Lateral epicondylitis, AKA tennis elbow.

"Tennis elbow is caused by either abrupt or subtle injury of the muscle and tendon area around the outside of the elbow. Tennis elbow specifically involves the area where the muscles and tendons of the forearm attach to the outside bony area (called the epicondyle) of the elbow. Your doctor may call this condition lateral epicondylitis."




Fuck.

Well, I know what caused it - poor form on this WOD back in January. I remember sitting on the floor afterwards and being unable to hold my water bottle because my grip was so fried.

I declined the offer a cortisone shot in favor of the rest, ice and NSAID treatment. I get re-evaluated in 6 weeks and if it's still painful, I may take him up on the offer at that time.

The hardest part comes next - resting it long enough to let it heal. The doctor said I can continue to do the exercises that don't cause pain, but anything that requires me to hold my wrist in resisted extension is painful. This includes innocuous things such as extending my arm to put on a heavy coat. My job also requires a good bit of lifting and a lot of use of tools, so that's going to be interesting. I may come out of rehab as a lefty.

On the upside, he said I could resume deadlifting after about a week, as long as I use an alternating grip with my right hand in the supinated position. But not too heavy on the DLs (ie, no attempts at 1RM for a while). So I will experiment and see which movements I can do. I already know that cleans, snatches and high pulls are out of the question. Pullups, dips and pushups have also been problematic. Thrusters, presses and wallballs may be okay; I will have to try those out.

So in the wake of that news, I went to the Y to do some squatting.

Buy-in: 3 rounds
10 OHS w/dowel
10 lunges
10 back extensions
10 goblet squats

WOD: Back squat 5x5
  • Warmup sets @ 45#, 65#, 85#; 100# x 3
  • Work sets @ 115# x 5
Thoughts: I managed to video my first, third and fifth sets. Each video was taken at a different angle, some more useful than others. I thought my depth looked iffy in the first set. The video angle isn't that good in the third set. The fifth set looked best to me, but I'm sure there's things I can correct. I'm wondering if my stance is too wide.

Warmup set @ 100#:



First set @ 115#:



Third set @ 115#:



Fifth set @ 115#:



I apologize for the pixelated quality of the video - my cell phone's camera leaves something to be desired.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ouch, tennis elbow is rough. :(

take care of that and don't be stubborn (as I did with mine) and try to train through it.

Ev said...

Glad to hear you got an answer on what's going on. It's good that you know what triggered it too. It's great that you're posting your videos and getting feedback. The community aspect of CF is just great! I know one person that recently caved on getting the cortisone shot. I am not sure if he got a diagnosis but he had chronic pain for ages before doing it. I'm not clear on the pros and cons of the cortisone but your plan of waiting six weeks to see if you can resolve it w/o it sounds like a good one.

Jenn said...

I had chronic shoulder problems in college (2 surgeries in about a six-month time span). My swim coach would occasionally send me to get cortisone shots so I could get through the swim season, especially when conference and national championship meets were coming up.

Not a real pleasant experience. But I also hate needles. :p