Monday, December 8, 2008

Mistletoe 5K

Yeah, I know I kinda dropped off the face of the earth for a few days. Seems no matter how hard I try sometimes, I can't keep to a consistent posting schedule. Or workout schedule, for that matter.

But anyway. Number One Son and I ran in the YMCA's Mistletoe 5K on Saturday (there is also a Mistletoe Half Marathon, but that's farther than I want to think about running anymore). Kick-Ass Daughter had originally said that she wanted to run the 1-mile fun run, but upon finding out that it was starting at 8 AM on a Saturday morning, she changed her mind. Which also gave Hubby an excuse not to get up and do the Fun Run.


These ladies dressed the part!



Here is Son trying to stay warm before the race (start time temp was 30 degrees):



Starting line. The guy in the blue tank top must be impervious to the weather...



Being the polite (and honest) person that I am, I started the race back in the middle of the pack so that the faster runners would not have to dodge me at the start. I started my watch when I crossed the starting line in order to get an accurate time. The course was great. The start was flat to slightly downhill for just long enough to get loose. Then there was about a 3/4 climb, which was not as steep as I had originally feared. The course flattened out just before the halfway mark, which meant the last half of the race was mostly downhill. I had a strong kick at the end, which made me wonder if I had started out too easily. My official time was 27:02. My watch time was 26:47. I was expecting to run about 28:00 - 28:30, so I was very pleased with the race! Not a PR, but certainly the fastest I've run in a long time.

Number One Son and I after the race. He finished well ahead of me, and as you can see, he doesn't even look tired!



Afterward we gorged on pizza, fruit and cookies inside the Y, and listened to the Wake Forest Men's A Cappella Christian Chorus (sorry, forgot to upload their picture) while we waited for the awards to be announced. As close as I can figure out, I finished 5th in my age group. The 3rd place finisher's official time was the same as my watch time. Lesson learned - screw politeness and get your ass up the starting line so you can race!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Wow Jenn! You did a fantastic job with that 5k! Thanks for posting all tghe pictures, too - it looks like it was a really fun time :-)

I know it must be frustrating to not be able to get into a regular workout schedule, but with all your PR's and your constantly improving run times, you must be doing something right! So try not to add extra stress - particularly in the holiday season - worrying about details you can't control, and just keep doing what you're doing: exercising whenever you can grab a few minutes.

Keep up the good work!